Fundamental Color Science
- Color appearance model, uniform color spaces, and color difference
- Chromatic adaptation
- Color matching functions and metamerism
- Color perception in complicated scenes (e.g., non-uniform lighting conditions, VR, AR, MR, 3D)
- Reflectance reconstruction
Imaging System (Camera, display, VR/AR/MR)
- Camera pipeline: white balance, color transformation matrix
- Color reproduction of multi-channel cameras
- Adaptive display: automatic adjustment of display brightness, white point, and content colors under different ambient lighting conditions
- Display and image quality: display metamerism, HDR reproduction, contrast for better visual comfort
- Light source color quality
- Indoor and outdoor lighting quality for different applications (e.g., museum, retail, residential, roadway)
- Measurement and modelling of light pollution and light nuisance
- Daylighting and photo-responsive daylight control system
- Light and health
- 2021 Google Research Scholar Program. Accurate Capture of Perceived Object Colors for Smart Phone Cameras. (PI) US$ 35,000.
- 2021-2022 Facebook (USA). Color Pipeline of Mixed Reality, Phase 2 (PI).
- 2021-2023 OPPO-Zeku (China). Uniform color space (PI).
- 2021-2022 Project funded by Prolycht Lighting (China): Learning based algorithm for self-calibrating colorimetric characteristics of computer vision camera (PI).
- 2020-2021 Projected funded by Hong Kong SAR Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD): Provision of Engineering Analysis for Outdoor Lighting System. (PI). HK$ 880,000.
- 2020-2021 Smartphone display calibration. (PI)
- 2020-2021 DJI (China). Color management (PI).
- 2020-2022 Smartphone camera ISP and white balance (PI).
- 2020-2021 Facebook (USA). Color Pipeline of Mixed Reality, Phase 1 (PI).
- 2020-2023 National Science Foundation of China (NSFC): Two-step Chromatic Adaptation Transform for Quantifying the Effects of Adapting Chromaticities, Luminance, and Medium (PI). RMB 630,000.
- 2020-2022 Hong Kong Research Grant Council – General Research Fund (GRF): Characterizing Light Source Color Rendition and Object Color Appearance Across a Wide Range of Light Levels (PI). HK$ 673,470.
- 2019-2021 Hong Kong Research Grant Council – General Research Fund (GRF): Investigation of Perception Under Off-Planckian Light Sources Used for General Illumination (PI). HK$ 632,421.
- 2019-2020 Project funded by OPPLE Lighting (China): Investigating Optimal Luminous Environment for Different Lighting Applications (PI). HK$ 250,000.
- 2019-2020 Project funded by Hong Kong Environment Bureau and an industry partner (Hong Kong): Illumination Level, Measurement Methodology Selection, and Assessment at Selected Areas in Hong Kong (PI). HK$ 240,000.
- 2019-2019 Harbin Institute of Technology Collaborative Research Project – Tunable LED Lighting for Low Light Levels (PI). RMB$ 125,000.
- 2018-2019 Hong Kong Central Policy Unit – Public Policy Research (PPR): The Possibility of Reducing Illuminance Level by Using LED Lighting Products with High CRI for Energy Reduction in Green Buildings (PI). HK$ 306,691.
- 2018-2020 National Science Foundation of China (NSFC): Characterization of Whiteness Appearance for Surface Colors (PI). RMB 210,000.
- 2018-2020 Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) – Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) Midstream Research Program for Universities: Development of Intelligent Dynamic Bright Light System at Residential Dwellings to Enhance Circadian Rhythms for People with Dementia (Co-PI). HK$ 2,269,000.
- 2017/18 Hong Kong Research Grant Council – Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (PI).
- 2017-2019 Hong Kong Research Grant Council – General Research Fund/Early Career Scheme (GRF/ECS): Development of A Metric for Characterizing Light Source Whiteness Rendition for Architectural Lighting (PI). HK$ 618,470.
- 2016-2017 Project funded by an industry partner (Hong Kong): Evaluation of Light Nuisance in Causeway Bay Hong Kong (PI). HK$ 40,000.
- 2019/2020 Hong Kong PolyU Large Equipment Fund for Teaching: Full-field Glare Test System (PI). HK$ 1,000,000.
- 2020-2021 Hong Kong PolyU Joint Supervision Scheme with the Chinese Mainland, Taiwan, and Macao Universities: Quantitative Study and Modeling of the Effect of Time-Light Modulation on Photobiological Effects. (PI). HK$ 180,600.
- 2018-2019 Hong Kong PolyU Research Grant: Perception of White Point of Displays Under Off-Planckian Sources (PI). HK$ 105,000.
- 2017-2018 Hong Kong PolyU Joint Supervision Scheme with the Chinese Mainland, Taiwan, and Macao Universities: Effects of Ambient Illumination Condition on Visual Comfort for Using Tablet Devices (PI). HK$ 194,000.
- 2016-2017 Hong Kong PolyU Joint Supervision Scheme with the Chinese Mainland, Taiwan, and Macao Universities: The Effect of LED Lighting on Memory Colors (PI). HK$ 168,000.
- 2016-2019 Hong Kong PolyU Research Grant: The Integration of Spectral-Tunable LED Lighting and Daylighting for Energy Efficient Buildings (PI). HK$ 500,000.
- 2016-2019 Hong Kong PolyU Research Grant: Unique Hues for Surface Colors under Various Lighting Conditions (PI). HK$ 500,000.
- 2015-2016 Hong Kong PolyU Research Grant: Quantifying the Luminous Environment of Modern Offices for Luminous Screen Tasks (PI). HK$ 105,000.
- 2016-2019 Hong Kong PolyU Departmental Learning & Teaching Development Grant: Development of A Multi-Channel LED Lighting System for Lighting Education (PI). HK$ 52,000.
- 2016-2019 Hong Kong PolyU Departmental Learning & Teaching Development Grant: Development of a learning package for students to appreciate the high performance building development (Co-I). HK$ 116,000.